Sunday, April 27, 2014

Whole30 Tip // Eggs & Cholesterol

I recently read an article about the worst nutritional advice in history- I wanted to share some information about the notion that egg yolks were high in cholesterol, so you should toss them and only use egg whites- THIS IS NOT NECESSARY and here is why. Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet - but yes, egg yolks are high in cholesterol- and people believed eating them would raise their cholesterol. I did too! So we started throwing away the yokes- problem is this is pretty much the worst thing you can do- the yolks contain almost ALL the nutrients. Here is the science- when 70% of people eat the whole eggs, there is no effect on their cholesterol- the other 30% DO see a raise in HDL cholesterol- BUT THIS IS GOOD CHOLESTEROL! This is not harmful.Thousand of studies have been done, and there has never been a single correlation found between heart disease and egg consumption. So lets remember eggs are loaded with protein, healthy fat, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Eggs are one of the best weight loss foods out there. They are cheap, easy to prep and delicious! So in a eggshell (badum-ching!) eggs WON'T raise bad cholesterol or cause heart disease- they are an amazing food so don't throw away the yolk- the most nutritious part of the egg! For more info google "The Top 5 Contenders for the worst nutrition advice in history" by Kris Gunnars

No comments:

Post a Comment